Irish Citizens who are over 18, have held an Irish Passport and have not changed their name from their previous passport can now apply to renew their Passport online via the website of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
This new service will be convenient, secure, and will offer faster and more predictable turnaround times. The initiative is part of the passport reform programme which is modernising passport systems and controls and will bring further benefits to Irish citizens at home and abroad in the years ahead.
What you need to know to apply online:
- You must be aged 18 or over
- Your name must be the same as your previous passport
- You must have previously held an Irish Passport which has expired less than 5 years ago
- Your Passport Book must have less than 12 month’s validity remaining on it. This does not apply for applications due to lost, stolen or damaged passports books.
- Your Passport Book number must begin with either the letter ‘P’ or ‘L’
You will be asked to input your home address and your postal address, if different, on the online application form. Please bear in mind when inputting your postal address that your Passport Book must be signed for on delivery.